I made a few muffins a few weeks ago that were lemon poppyseed and just didn’t find the texture was right and they seemed to fall apart. Vegan baking is definitely tricky but I gave my own recipe a go with more ingredients to help everything stick and did it in donut form instead. They’re moist, full of flavour and pair so well with blueberry.
- 1 tbsp chia seeds + 4 tbsp water (chia ‘egg’)
- 1 lemon
- 1 Cup milk
- 1/4 Cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 Cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 Cup finely ground almonds or almond flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tbsp poppyseeds
For the Sauce:
- 1 Cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Start by creating your chia egg so it can sit and combine.
- Mix together dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon into the wet ingredients, and zest the outer lemon into the wet as well.
- Combine and add in chia egg, mix well so everything is combined.
- Add batter to a piping bag and pipe mixture into a donut baking sheet.
- Cook for 10-15 mins, until a fork comes out clean when pierced.
For the sauce:
- Add blueberries to a pot as well as enough water to just cover the bottom.
- Turn stove to medium and bring water to a boil.
- Start mashing the blueberries until runny, chunks are ok!
- Add maple syrup, corn starch then whisk well and simmer
- Simmer until sauce becomes thicker
- Drizzle sauce on donuts once they are being served! They aren’t as successful if the blueberry sauce gets soaked in before you can eat them!
This recipe would also be delicious with strawberry or raspberry sauce too!