Potato salad is definitely a past time favourite of mine during events like family get togethers and bbq’s. Its not something I had thought to make a vegan version of, but recently I was invited to a vegan potluck which required a recipe that would make a substantial amount and be something simple everyone could enjoy. This definitely is the perfect party recipe, great for groups and showing the versatility in plant based cooking. You really can make anything vegan!
I used a soy free mayo, all natural apple cider (make sure to have the kind where you can see the pulp like sediment at the bottom! and left over pickle juice from a finished jar of pickles.
Total Time: 30-40 mins
Amount: 6-8 servings
- 8-10 medium white potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 2 stocks celery
- 1 large pickle
- A quarter of a red onion
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp pickle juice
- 1.5 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- A generous amount of either dill spice, or even better: fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Generous amount of pepper
- Dash of salt
- Dice potatoes into cubes (either large or small, depending on preference)
- Add potatoes to a large pot with water and bring to a boil, turn heat to low to let cook.
- While potatoes are cooking, prep veggies & dressing.
- Dice carrots, celery, onion and pickle into small diced pieces and put aside.
- For the dressing: mix the rest of the ingredients and whisk well until combined.
- Test taste and add more spices as needed
- Once potatoes are soft (not falling apart but able to pierce with a fork) remove from pot to a strainer and rinse with cold water until the potatoes are no longer hot.
- Add potatoes, veggies and dressing into a large bowl and mix together until everything is incorporated. Be careful not to crush the potatoes in the process!
- Top with more pepper, dill and paprika, as well as green onion if you have some available.