I have revamped my previous fried tofu recipe to include more flavour but keep it at a simple, high protein edition to your dishes. I personally try to keep my soy intake to a minimum for personal preference but every so often reach for tofu since its cheap, easy to work with and sometimes just what the dish I’m making needs.
The ingredients I used would work as an amazing marinade for tofu that you could soak in over night, but I normally forget and just do it when I’m ready to cook it.
- Extra firm tofu – I used about 1/3 of a block, chopped into squares
- Sesame Seeds
Equal parts: (I added a tsp of each)
- Soy Sauce
- Olive Oil
- Maple Syrup
- Chilli Sauce or hot sauce
I also added: (optional)
- A drop of liquid smoke
- Garlic powder
- Add ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine well.
- Press the water out of your tofu using a towel or paper towel once you’ve cut off slices or you can also just press the cubed pieces.
- Add sauce with the tofu into a pan and cook at a low-medium heat.
- Once the sauce is evaporated, add a splash more water or soy sauce as well as a generous amount of sesame seeds and turn heat up slightly to fry the tofu more and create a crispy outside (I borderline burn mine because I like it crunchy).
- Serve on rice, quinoa, with veggies, as a side dish or just enjoy as a snack!