Easter rolled around fast and while I didn’t have time to create a carrot cake, I went for the next best thing. Energy balls are the perfect take along for a snack or a great side to your breakfast.
These are a great addition to any dinner party or Easter supper this weekend!
The best part of this recipe is the carrot hidden under the sweetness of the dates and warm cinnamon flavour. Although they’re the sister of carrot cake, the actual carrots themselves are mixed in there and enjoyable for any one. Carrots are super high in antioxidants + nutrients and provide immune, digestive, eye health and blood sugar level support. That leaves this recipe as not only a sweet treat but good for you too!
- 1/2Cup highly shredded carrots (not a total purée but you don’t want chunky energy balls!)
- 1/4Cup apple sauce
- 1Cup soaked dates
- 1/2Cup oats
- 1/2tsp cinnamon
- 2-3tbsp flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2Cup crushed almonds
- After shredding the carrots, squeeze them between some paper towel to dry them out as much as you can.
- Add all ingredients except the flour to a blender and pulse until combined and blended, but still a little chunky.
- Add in flour a tablespoon at a time until the mixture is wet enough to form into a ball but not so sticky it’s impossible to shape them.
- Roll in crushed almonds as an outer layer.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 mins before serving to chill and harden more than they are once made.