For an easy side dish (or a delicious holiday meal for yourself) I came up with a roast veggie recipe that includes some really nice flavours to pair together. Skip the steamed brussels sprouts that are always left over and add something a little different into your holiday traditions!
Eating vegan at a family or friends dinner can be tough when you’re up against meat and dairy dishes being served. I’ve always enjoyed bringing a side dish or something to contribute so that you have more options to eat yourself as well as it being a great conversation to show off and explain your interesting dish to others! Most people are open to trying new things and most of the time end up appreciating it as well.
The Christmas kitchen can be a bit hectic with everyone trying to time the dishes and get everything prepared. This recipe is great because you can serve it warm once its cooked or prep it the night before and store in the fridge when its done, then serve cold. Although roasted veggies seem like an odd idea to chill, they have amazing flavour and you’d be surprised how well it works.
Prep Time: 15 mins.
Cook Time: 35-40 mins.
Serves: 3-8 depending how many veggies you use
*Pick up a few of each of the types of veggies I used for larger portions, and double the sauce to go with it- the way I made it is good for around 4 people*
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1 head of fennel
- 1/2 a pomegranate (around 1/2 a cup of seeds)
- 2 tbsp tahini (There are easy DIY recipes for tahini online or use premade, either work!)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 2 tsp olive oil (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees .
- Chop up potato, broccoli and fennel into a bowl.
- Add the olive oil into the bowl and mix until all the pieces are covered (Optional if you want the oil or not!)
- Spread out veggies on a baking tray, season with salt and pepper, then put them in the oven to cook.
- At 15 minutes, turn oven down to 400 degrees and cover veggies with tin foil to prevent the edges from burning, continue cooking for another 15-20 minutes depending on your oven.
- While everything is cooking, add tahini, lemon juice, dill and more pepper to a bowl and whisk until combined.
- Check veggies with a fork to make sure they’re not crunchy still.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour on desired amount of tahini dressing, along with the pomegranate seeds and stir until everything is combined.
- Serve hot or cold!