I wasn’t sure what type of fall recipe I wanted to create and was feeling stuck mostly because I didn’t want to run out and get more ingredients (lazy day!). I ended up throwing what I had at home into a pot and it turned out being this delicious, warm lentil soup.
Not only is this soup perfect for fall with its warm flavours, its loaded got extra nutrients, lots of protein and carbs to help you fill up and stay warm up at the same time. Turmeric has anti-imflammitory properties, skin benefits, and tons of disease fighting properties as well! The small amount of olive oil will help absorb the turmeric and really make the most of the ingredient.
The lentils and chickpeas add the protein and carbs to fill you up, you can either used canned or cook yours yourself. Lentils have 18g of protein per cup! This recipe is an awesome addition to your daily meal prep, perfect to freeze.
If you don’t have these ingredients, buying canned beans will keep this recipe under 10$.
Serves – 2
Prep time: 5 mins / Cook time: 15 mins
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/3 – 1/2 white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup canned diced tomato
- 1 stock celery roughy chopped
- 1 cup lentils
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- handful of kale, torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup peas (Optional)
- 1 tsp tumeric
- Chilli powder – Amount depending on how spice you want it, I did just a pinch
- Optional: bay leaf, cilantro powder, piece of cinnamon bark or a pinch of ground cinnamon, 2 tbsp coconut milk
- Optional toppings that I love: Hemp heart seeds, pepper, fresh cilantro
- Add olive oil to the pot, along with the garlic and onions and fry until they soften.
- Add broth, tomatoes, celery, turmeric and chilli powder to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the kale and cook until the celery is softened, around 10-15 minutes
- Once theres only about 2 minutes left, add the kale in to let it soften
- Add desired toppings and enjoy!