I hadn’t had french toast for years, since my mom would make it for my sister and I for breakfast quite often and we really enjoyed it. The idea popped back into my head a little while ago so I tried out a few ingredients to see if I could capture the essence of french toast but instead having it be vegan. The main part of french toast is the eggs and I wanted to achieve the same crispy-ness, texture and taste as the classic french toast.
I found a few ingredients that I think work really well and I was surprised with how easy this recipe was. I made it and had enough left over to supply my breakfast for the next day. It really only takes 5 mins to prepare and 10ish minutes to cook, so quick!
For the bread, I recommend using a bread with a tougher dough to prevent any mushy results but although a fully baked loaf may be the best option, I also made this with classic multigrain bread slices and it worked just as well. I’m sure gluten free bread would be really successful as well in this recipe as it tends to have a stiffer finish to it. For any bread and a rule of thumb with french toast, it’s best to wait a day or two after you have brought it to let it get a little tougher than freshly baked. But regardless, I don’t see any way you prefer doing this as an issue.
Makes enough to dip roughly 4-6 pieces
5 Min prep time, 10 Min cook time
- 1 ripe banana
- 3/4 Cup of non-dairy milk
- 1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of solid coconut oil, then melt
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg (Optional)
- 1 tbsp protein powder (Optional, I add this is in for some extra protein in the morning!)
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth
- Add mixture to a bowl wide enough to fit bread pieces
- Dip each piece making sure its completely coated *Don’t leave in the mixture for too long or they might be a little soggy depending on your bread
- Coat pan if needed, fry each side for 5-7 minutes on medium/high heat or until you reach your desired crispness – Make sure each side is at least golden brown so you get that perfect consistency on the outside!