This recipe has been my recent go to, post workout meal and a favourite I have created. Its loaded with so many delicious ingredients that all work together to make the perfect dish. This recipe is great for dinner parties, family dinners and groups as it is filling and can be made in large amounts.
I mostly get asked about what I do for meal prep and packed lunches and this is one of the recipes that is perfect to take along with you! I saved about half to have throughout the week and froze the rest in individual containers. When I’m not sure what to make for my lunch in the future it is so easy to grab and go, I just microwave once I get to work.
The second thing I get requested to do the most would be vegan protein options. I used Yves “Ground beef, Italian” as well as crumbled tofu in the middle. These together bring the protein count up. This would be the perfect pairing with some greens such as a light salad or steamed veggies.
I used a little bit of everything but feel free to change up and add/ subtract what you want. For a gluten free, lighter option, opt for all zucchini noodles instead of the pasta.
- Serves roughly 6, double recipe for large groups
- Total prep & cook time: one hour
For the layers:
- One box of lasagna noodles – I got the oven ready ones to save time
- 1 zucchini
- Handfull of spinach
- 3 cans of tomato sauce
- 7-10 medium mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 White onion, diced (I used a food processor)
- Fresh herbs- I have a herb garden and used some parsley, Oregano and basil. The spices of these work too
- One package of vegan ground beef (4.99$) (I used Yves) *If you are looking for a cheaper option or don’t have this near you, extra firm tofu works as well, add 1-1.5 cups of it crumbled. I recommend using the ground “beef” as it adds more to the recipe but this is a similar idea!*
- Spices – I used salt, pepper, onion salt, nutritional yeast and the oregano spice.
**You don’t need all these spices, add what you have and what you like! This is just what was in my kitchen**
The cottage “cheese” crumble:
- 3/4 – 1 cup cashews
- Juice of either one lime or one lemon
- 4 tbsp water
- 3 tsp nutritional yeast
- 3/4 C crumbled tofu (extra firm)
- Add all of the tomato sauce ingredients together in a bowl and stir until combined.
- For the cottage cheese, blend everything EXCEPT the tofu together until creamy, crumble in tofu after and stir to combine.
- To assemble the lasagna, use a 9″ X 9″ pan (bigger if you doubled the recipe) and begin by covering the bottom with the tomato sauce. Add a layer of noodles followed by another layer of tomato sauce. I added zucchini slices to sub for the noodles in two layers, randomly placed. Repeat the layering until the middle.
- When you get half way to the top, after the noodles, add the cottage cheese sauce followed by a layer of spinach, then back to the tomato sauce and noodle layers. The zucchini and spinach give an awesome crunch and make it extra delicious, don’t skip them!
- Continue with the tomato sauce, noodles and zucchini layers until you reach the top.
- Finish with a layer of the tomato sauce topped with dried parsley and more nutritional yeast.
- Cook at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Let sit for 10 before serving. *Poke a tooth pick down the lasagna before you take it out to make sure the noodles are soft enough for it to reach the bottom*
- Serve and enjoy! This goes great with a side salad