Coming up with my own baking recipes has been new as I normally follow someone else’s recipe. I was eager to try and come up with my own cookie recipe through trial and error and while not everything always works out, these cookies turned out surprisingly delicious. With some help from my partner Matt, we played around and ended up with these hearty, gluten free, vegan oat cookies.
Now normally gluten/ dairy free gets a bad rep but I promise these cookies are dense, sweet and you would never guess they’re as whole as they are.
The jam centre gives a little something extra and brings these cookies together. The red middle and star shapes also make these great for the holidays or if you’re just in the mood for some real food baking.
3 – 3½ Cups Oat Flour (I used gluten free oats and blended until the consistancy was like flour) (Whole wheat flour works too)
1 tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of salt
1 tsp powdered sugar (Optional for taste)
½ Cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
1 chia seed or ground flax “egg” (3 tbsp water, 1 tbsp seed – let this sit while gathering all other ingredients)
½ Cup Maple Syrup
3 tbsp Almond Milk
½ Cup Coconut Oil
For the Jam:
1 Cup Rasberries
2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
3 Tbsp Water
2 Tbsp Chia Seeds
1. Mix your chia or flax egg and set aside.
2. Blend brown sugar until its at a finer consistancy
3. Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
4. Melt the half cup of coconut oil
5. Mix your wet ingredients, including the chia or flax egg, and leaving the coconut oil until last.
6. Combine wet and dry ingredients and story quickly before the coconut oil can harden.
7. Leave to sit in the bowl for 10 minutes to let it thicken.
8. Remove batter from bowl and old it into a ball, wrap it in saran wrap and store in the fridge for at least 15 Minutes to let it harden further.
9. Remove from fridge and once the batter has warmed up, roll it out and cut shapes or roll into normal cookies – however you prefer!
10. Using a round object or your thumb, push dents into the centres for the jam.
11. Preheat oven to 350° and cook for 10-12 minutes depending on oven and thickness.
For the Chia Jam:
- Mash rasberries in a pot and add the water and maple syrup.
- Bring to a boil until raspberries are further mashed, remove from heat.
- Add chia seeds and set aside in the fridge for at least 30 Mins.
- Using a knife, add jam to the centres of the cookies.
I finished mine with vegan melted chocolate and some powdered sugar. Enjoy!