Happy fall everyone! I have been loving this season and using tons of flavours and spices. With Halloween around the corner I have been thinking up some healthy but delicious spooky treats. To keep things simple I thought about adding a twist onto a normal recipe that way it made it quick for everyone and a great idea for kids or dinner parties around this time.
I borrowed some Halloween themed cookie cutters but they are available in lots of locations. Try and find some smaller sized ones as my regular sizes were a bit too big.
Oven baking is convenient because I can throw whatever I’m making into the oven and carry on with homework or whatever else I have to do. Stovetop cooking can often require a bit more attention so if your todo list is still a page long by dinner, this recipe is a great option.
A mixture of potatoes (Relatively the same size and bigger to fit the cutters) I used russet potatoes and both orange and purple sweet potatoes (My favourite for the fall time)
Olive oil ( I added pre minced garlic to mine)
Chopped white onion
Salt & Pepper
Cinnamon & Nutmeg (For the sweet potatoes)
I didn’t measure these out- I used enough oil to rub on the potatoes and then enough of the dry spices to sprinkle on them as well.
- Start by heating your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Start cutting your potatoes into slices, mine were around 1/2 an inch wide. The closer they are in size the less of a chance you’ll end up with some burnt potatoes and others uncooked.
- Use your cutters (or a knife if you’re feeling artistic) and cut the shapes! This is a great activity for kids as well, getting the involved in their food will help make them more interested and the healthy eating will be problem free!
- Lay on a pan and coat all the slices and onion with the olive oil and spices. I only put the cinnamon and nutmeg on the sweet potatoes.
- Cook for 15 mins and then use tongs to flips the slices to cook for another 15 mins.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and they’re ready to serve!